We get a lot of questions on how the electricity generation and distribution data is handled in IMPLAN. The following outlines the steps.
- First, generation by sector is gathered in Megawatt-hours (MWH) from the US Energy Information Administration
- These are in MWH, not dollar values
- Next, we obtain total revenue for all electricity from the US Energy Information Administration
- These are not broken out by Sector
- With the value from #2 and the sum of total generation from #1, we calculate a revenue per MWH value, which we multiply against the generation by sector from #1 to get an estimate of revenue by sector.
- We then split that revenue by sector into generation vs. distribution using the share of price between generators and distributors – http://www.eia.gov/electricity/annual/html/epa_02_04.html.
- Finally, we split between private, federal, state, and local based on CEW data, which have enough detail for all generation types plus distribution.